Red Velvet Cake

For some reason, people seem to go crazy over Red Velvet Cake .... and I am no exception. Every couple months I get a craving for something sweet and this is one of my go to recipes. I found this recipe over a year ago on www.joyofbaking.com, but of course I had to make adjustments to suit my tastes. I decreased the amount of sugar, used almond milk instead of buttermilk in the cake and decreased the amount of heavy cream in the frosting among other things.

I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do and remember ...everything in moderation!





Ingredients
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp Hershey cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk
2 tbsp liquid red food coloring
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp baking soda

Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 8 oz packs cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream 
*Preheat oven to 350F

Preparation
  • Sift together flour, salt, and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl and set aside
  • In another bowl or mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
  • Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  • Add vanilla extract and continue mixing until combined
  • In a small bowl, whisk milk with the red food coloring. 
  • Add 1/3 flour mixture and 1/3 milk to the butter mixture and mix on low speed
  • Continue alternately adding flour and milk until done
  • In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz then quickly fold into the cake batter. 
  • Evenly divide batter between 2 prepared pans and place in center rack of your oven.

  • Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. 
  • Cool the cakes in their pans for 10 minutes before removing, then cool completely before frosting.


Cream Cheese Frosting: 
  • Using an electric mixer or a hand mixer beat the cream cheese until smooth. 
  • Add vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and cream. 
  • Gradually add heavy cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to spread. 
Assembling:
  • Place one of the cakes on your serving platter, top of the cake facing down. 
  • Spread a layer of frosting then place the other cake on top of the frosting and continue to frost the top and sides of the cake. 


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. No...I just wanted red velvet cake LOL and someone asked me for the recipe. I ate a slice to satisfy my craving and then I left it alone.

      Delete
  2. This cake looks so good! I'm from the south and red velvet is a constant treat in my family. My brother is the chef in the family but he looked a little jealous when I brought the red velvet cake for my mother's birthday party this year. Making a red velevet cake is hard work! Yours look very moist and light...My family would welcome you with open arms:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment