Curried Lentils

Did tell you before that I absolutely love lentils? Red, green, brown...whichever! Lentils are an excellent source of protein and they are very rich in B vitamins and several minerals. I use lentils in a number of vegetarian dishes as well. Next time you go to the grocery store, be sure to pick up a pack or two!




Ingredients
1/2 cup celery hearts, chopped
1 large carrot, sliced in rounds
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp madras curry
water
1 cup lentils
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
  • Heat oil in a sauce pan
  • Add garlic, onion, celery, carrot and curry. Sauté for 2 minutes then pour in 1/2 cup water.
  • Add lentils and continue to stir, thoroughly mixing all ingredients. (about 2 minutes)
  • Pour 5 cups water to pan and cook over medium heat until lentils become soft, about 10 minutes. (test by squeezing between your fingers)
  • At this time, add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Cook until water has reduced and mixture thickens and appears creamy



Can be served with rice or used as a dip with plantain chips

Comments

  1. I have to try this one because I bet its full of fiber also. I've never cooked lentils, beans yes, but never lentils. Do you serve this over rice or eat it alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way works. I make lentil burgers, lentil dip... I have to post those recipes too.. but I often use lentils as a meat substitute. Lentil soup is one of my favorite soups too.

      Delete
  2. I have never cooked lentils...Is it similar to a bean texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lentils are legumes with a similar texture to a bean but it is a lot smaller. They typically come in 2 colors and are very flavorful and cooks very quickly.

      Delete

Post a Comment