Sweet n Savory Pork Empanadas

It was Sunday afternoon and I felt like snacking on something. I couldn't decide if I wanted sweet or savory so I settled on marrying two flavors in one empanada! Empanadas can come with a variety of fillings, it just take a little creativity. Instead of making the dough from scratch, I opted for store bought discs to save time. I like the Goya brand because it gives perfect results every time. This recipe shows how fruit can be incorporated.  As always, I have to stay true to my Caribbean roots. I added an ingredient which brings back fond childhood memories. Can you tell what it is?




Ingredients
1 lb ground pork
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tsp adobo con pimiento
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp all spice
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup red wine (merlot)
1/2 cup guava pulp
2 packs Goya empanada discs
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)


Preheat oven to 350F

Preparation for filling

  • In a large pan, heat oil and butter. Add onions, then sugar and sauté until  onion is light brown.
  • Add ground pork and use a wooden spoon to crumble while cooking, until meat is no longer pink
  • Add seasoning (adobo, paprika, allspice, black pepper)
  • Pour in wine and add guava.
  • Stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off heat

And to put it all together

  • Spread empanada discs on a flat surface and place 2 tsps of filling in the center of the disc.
  • Fold disc over forming a half circle and seal sides with a fork
  • Arrange on a greased baking sheet and brush egg wash on each empanada. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F

Empanadas are typically fried in medium hot until golden brown. Baking is a healthier option


This recipe yields 20 empanadas.

Comments

Post a Comment