Seafood Gumbo

When the temperature dips, a lot of people reach for a bowl of chili. I prefer a big hearty bowl of spicy gumbo! Food is one of the main things I miss about New Orleans, so I do as much as I can to recreate my favorite dishes.  I've prepared gumbo several times; tweaking and improving my recipe each time. The tweaking stops right here with this one. Try it and share you pics with me!



Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • I large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 cup bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 3 tbsp garlic, minced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 4 links Andouille sausage, sliced
  • 1/2lb crabmeat
  • 1lb fresh peeled shrimp
  • Old bay seasoning
  • File powder
*Clean shrimp and season with lime juice and old bay seasoning; set aside


Preparation
  • In a dutch oven, heat oil and add flour. Mix well
  • Stir until roux turn to a milk chocolate color
  • Add onions, pepper, garlic and celery; saute for about 5 minutes, stir constantly
  • Pour in chicken broth, stirring as you go along
  • Season with parsley, thyme, lemon pepper, creole seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and cayenne pepper
  • Mix in diced tomatoes
  • Add Andouille sausage and cook for 3 minutes while stirring
  • Pour water, stir, then cover pot. Let simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes
  • Taste and adjust seasoning to taste if necessary. 
  • Add crab meat and shrimp. Simmer for 15 minutes
  • Turn of heat and add a dash of file powder
Serve hot in bowls with a scoop of rice on top

Comments

  1. I LOVE IT! Almost exactly like mine, except I use chicken chunks and peeled crawfish tails from walmart and have never added worcestershire or lemon pepper. I'm going to try that next time. AWESOME recipe! (We also add a TON of Tabasco, but we like it HOT). =)
    Amanda Trimble

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Okra.. yes, roux and okra.. we like it thick! =)
    Amanda Trimble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Amanda! You can add okra to my recipe as well. I skipped it because I do not like okra at all :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment