Green Banana Salad

Green banana (or green fig as we call it) is a staple in Dominican cuisine. It's one of the items that is a component in every meal... in soups, broths, with Dominican Stew Chicken, with curry... anyways you get the point. My grandfather has a banana farm so growing up, we ALWAYS had bananas at home..green, ripe and every stage in between. I used to cry almost everyday when I saw green bananas on my plate; I didn't like it at all. Fast forward to becoming an adult and no longer living in Dominica, I sometimes find myself craving it. Luckily I can get a fix every now and again, thanks to Walmart and the Latino supermarkets!

Green Banana Salad


Ingredients
6  green bananas
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup tri color bell peppers, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup shredded salt fish (optional)
2 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika

Preparation
  • Boil bananas until soft. Drain water and allow bananas to cool. Cut into 1/2 inch rounds and set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl combine all other ingredients and mix well

  • Add bananas to bowl and mix. Ensure bananas are evenly coated with mayo mixture.

  • Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving
The perfect alternative to Potato Salad

Comments