Dirty Rice

When I first moved to Louisiana I had such a culture shock. Moving to the city (and I use that term loosely) of Grambling didn't do much to help either. Anyways I remember being offered Dirty Rice as a side dish and my immediate reaction was "what the heck?!" Why would anyone want to eat dirty anything? When I actually saw the dish though, I asked what was in it, then I tasted it.... and the rest is delicious history.



Ingredients
2 cups jasmine rice
4 cups water
1 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken livers, finely chopped
1lb ground sirloin
1 small red onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 a bell pepper, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp Tony's creole seasoning and 1 tsp black pepper (I like my food spicy so I go heavier)
Salt, to taste

Preparation

  • Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, add salt and little olive oil to boiling water then add rice. Once rice is finished cooking, remove from heat and set aside.
  • Heat oil in a large pan, then add the ground sirloin. Use a wooden spoon to stir the meat and break up big clumps. 
  • Once the meat starts browning, add the onions, peppers and celery. Keep browning the meat and stirring making sure the ingredients. Lower your heat to medium and use the wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan (we don't want anything sticking to the pan!)
  • Mix in the chicken livers and allow to cook for about 7 more minutes.
  • Add the creole seasoning and black pepper, then pour in the chicken broth. Turn up the heat and let the liquid reduce. 
  • Pour the rice into the pan and toss with the meat. Make sure everything is mixed thoroughly.
  • Turn off the heat, add the green onions and toss again.
This can be a side dish or a main dish, it's up to you. I've had it both ways and I enjoy it all the same!



Serve hot and enjoy!!


Find out more about Tony Chachere's

Comments

  1. Finally! I hope you read this and know it has been 5 years since I left Louisiana and Recipe.com and MSN Delish cannot does not have photos or recipes that comes close to yours! I knew there was chicken liver ;) Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting! I'm happy my recipe met your expectations :)

      Delete

Post a Comment